Saturday, October 1, 2011

Bad Fans

I need to preface this post with a disclaimer saying that I have nothing against this gentleman.
(That's Riley Nelson with the long hair for those of you not on the up-and-up with BYU football players). 

I mean really, did you even read my last post about football?  Clearly I have nothing against him.  Also, in the game last night he ROCKED IT OUT.  We owe a lot of the credit for our last minute victory to Riley and his willingness to take a hit and ability to think on his feet.  He's a great quarterback.  Ok, disclaimer over.

People need to shut the hell up about Jake Heaps.  First of all, he's a tiny infant child (meaning, he's extremely young) and gets flustered.  We wish he wouldn't, but it happens.  I got distracted, I need to get back to the point.

Stop being crap fans.  Don't chant for Riley when Jake is in.  Honestly, do you think that improves his game play?   I'm sure your performance would improve if the people who are supposed to be on your side are cheering against you.  Also, never boo your own team (didn't happen at this game, but it did against UCF).  Every time the lousy fans decided it was a good idea to chant "Riley Riley" I was filled with rage.  If you're a good fan support your team NO MATTER WHAT.  Even though I think Heaps has it in him, do I cheer against Nelson?  No, I cheer for whoever the coaches decide to put in.  I feel so bad for Jake.  When you can get out there and do better then you are welcome to talk bad about him all you want.  

I know some of my friends and not just acquaintances are guilty of the Jake hate and especially of Riley worship (dear Provo, he's not the second-coming).  Perhaps this post offends you.  I don't care.  Perhaps you feel this is a direct attack on you.  It probably is.  It's not pointed at one particular person, but it is pointed.  

Rant over. 

7 comments:

Tyler said...

Personally, I love how Riley Nelson plays the game. When he starts the play, all madness breaks loose, but amidst the chaos, he is able to make excellent reads and correct decisions. He takes every play one at a time and this is very clear after watching replays of his drives and listening to his interviews after the game. You can tell he knows whats going on. That being said, he has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a starting QB. His passing is at times sloppy and slow, especially compared to Jake.

Jake thinks too much. Although he is an excellent passer, he over thinks plays and it's easier for the defense to know what he will do. On most snaps, instinctively he looks at his target almost before the ball reaches his hands to throw it. Heaps is a great guy with a great arm, but he has to learn how to take every play as it unfolds as intuitively as Riley to become a legendary QB.

Riley needs to get a little faster, Jake needs to change his way of thinking.

Right now, Riley will be the starter because his issue is less worrisome. When Jake grows up a little more and is mentally prepared to quickly make decisions as the play unfolds, we'll have a great QB.

Either way though, Jake has to feel HORRIBLE when the fans cheer so much for Riley. My hope is that Jake takes that terrible feeling and uses it to motivate himself learn how to make better reads and become a better QB.

sarah joelle said...

i think its going to be a completely different story when we play a team thats had a week to prepare for playing against riley. they'll know he's coming and they'll know how he plays. they won't be caught off guard when we suddenly throw him in. they'll know how to play against him.

ginger said...

Sarah, I agree. Also I think the fact that he had support of team mates and fans that Jake has never had helped him a lot.

Britt Hanson said...

Ginger,

I think a lot of fans frustration with Jake has a lot to do with things he has said. I like to see people walk the walk before talking. National championship never should have come out of his mouth and definitely not in the preseason. He brought the high expectations on himself and so I do feel bad when he gets booed but not too bad.

Riley's "I don't make personnel decisions" and "no comment" when the media kept asking him whether he should be the starter next week was pretty classy and I wish Jake would handle himself like that.

Also more than anything Jake is not tough. I can't imagine what his teammates thought when watching the film of the Ole Miss game and seeing Jake walk off the field with his head down while the Ole Miss played returned it for a touchdown. He quit on the play and made no effort. That is not leadership.

The hardest part is I think a lot of us fans just expected BYU to be good this year. The media really hyped them up preseason this year and they are just not very good to be honest. I don't blame it all on Jake. I think a lot of it has to do with the coaching changes and I don't think Riley is the long term solution at QB but maybe Jake will learn from watching Riley. Jake has a lot of talent but he has a lot to learn.

BYU fans are used to great quarterback play and its tough to watch a team with a great defense not be able to put any points on the board.

Thats all. Go Cougars!!
Kyle

ginger said...

Kyle,

I agree about the classiness of Riley's post-game comments. I was extremely pleased with that. I also agree with most of what you said down there.

Stay classy, Pocatello.

KB said...

Why hasn't anyone else commented on Nelson's booty? I mean dang.

ginger said...

did you not see my whole post about it?