Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Westmore

Yesterday I started my second practicum at Westmore Elementary School in Orem. The cooperating teacher is essentially magic. I don't know how she does it, but she's a super star. Yesterday there were about 11 people in her class to observe her teach, she'd gotten back from vacation at 3am that morning, and somehow still managed to pull off a fantastic amount of teaching. I was reeling just from watching.

Not to mention I'm partners with Sarah, who (whom?) I just love so it's a good time. And the school provided us with a "treasure box" full of things we might need like tissues, band-aids, post-its, highlighters, pens, white board markers, tape, glue, crayons, etc. Then when we came in this morning there was a desk set up for us with two chairs, name cards, candy, and our treasure box. Seriously, our cooperating teacher is better than yours.

Today we went on a walking field trip with the other fourth grade class. Essentially we had about 60 people (most children) walking a mile in the snow to a theater to watch a play. The play was kind of cute, but a little weird in my opinion. Some of the kids were wild, some hated the walk, I know at least one adult took a little nap in the middle of the play. Then we walked back and had lunch and math and recess and that was pretty much it.

I'm learning all the kids' names finally. I know I've only been there since yesterday, but they tell us to learn all the names the first day (which I definitely failed at doing). Tomorrow we're going to sit down and plan out all of our assignments and the other stuff we have to get done before we go back to college.

The kids were introduced to their historical fiction unit today. One of their book options was this one:
I remember reading it when I was in fifth grade. I remember loving it (even though historical fiction isn't usually my cup of tea), and now I just want to read it again. Maybe after I finish Chains and get it back to Sarah I'll work on this one.

P.S. BYU basketball starting tonight? Yes please and yum.
Welcome back Nick Martineau. Mmm.

No comments: