Saturday, January 29, 2011

Valentine's Day

This post was prompted by a friend's status update this morning.

"I hate the fact that Valentine's Day is coming up. Have I mentioned how much I hate Valentine's Day? I don't think I have. I hate Valentine's Day."

I don't get it. No, I'm not one of those people that loves Valentine's Day and is excited to send someone a giant teddy bear holding a heart that says something stupid like "Love Muffin" or something else equally as idiotic. I did always enjoy it as a kid. The cookies, the valentines (sometimes with some candy attached), and another excuse for a class party. I've never had a "valentine" as far as a man goes, but I don't hate Valentine's Day. What's the point? If people who are in a relationship want to use the day to celebrate their relationship I say, why not? Doesn't make me feel any more or less single than the awkward couple from the Sword and Quill club licking each other's tonsils on a bench in front of the WILK

Annoying in-a-relationship people are going to get on my nerves no matter what day of the year it is. Like the tonsil-lickers and the must-touchers (you know what I'm talking about, those couples that can't seem to NOT touch each other in a social setting) the mushy-valentiners are completely obnoxious and I'll admit it, but it's not because of the day. It's because their personalities just suck.


Look, a cute Valentine's Day puppy; what's not to love.

A note: This post is not meant as an attack on the friend who posted that update, just a general commentary. I know lots of people that loathe Valentine's Day, she is not an anomaly.

No comments: