Sunday, January 13, 2013

So My Dad Thinks I'm Gay

Hello world.  I just realized last night that my dad thinks I'm gay (I'm not positive on this, but relatively sure). Here's the deal.

My dad is ok with gay people.  Rather, I should say my dad is ok with lesbians.  One of his best friends for the past 15 or so years is a lesbian.  He even went to her "wedding" (this was years ago so it wasn't a for real wedding, but you know what I mean).  For whatever reason though (and I thought about putting disclaimers explaining that he's from a different generation and knew some people that were gay and criminal etc, but decided not to make excuses) he says really thoughtless things regarding gays.

It's weird, because he works equal opportunity so he has to make sure everything's all equal for everyone in their jobs.  And it's not that he actually or actively discriminates against gays, but he says stupid things like:

"Who's that old fag who plays Gandalf?"

"They dress their son like a little fag."

"That guy acts like one of those homers out in San Francisco." (homer meaning homosexual)

*Note, I don't believe in saying the f-word quoted above.

Those were just a few examples, but he uses language like that all the time.  And it bothers me a lot.  And I sometimes complain about him being homophobic or at the very least not gay friendly. Anyway, I'm done the dad complaining part of this post.

Last night I went for a brief visit and dad was watching a movie.  The guy had been struck by lightning and apparently changed orientation as a strange result.  Dad says "Man, that must have been some lightning strike since that guy was gay before."  I wasn't paying much attention and decided to leave at that moment .  He quickly retracted his statement and tried to explain that he wasn't being rude etc. etc.  His comment hadn't bothered me and I only really half heard it, it was just a coincidence of timing.

Something about the way he said it, though.  I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm a lesbian.

Also since he told me I need to find a girlfriend in the area and he's not generally prone to calling regular friends girlfriends...

No comments: