Monday, November 17, 2008

Sports Junkie

I am becoming a sports junkie. It's really kind of a problem. Now that I think about it, this may have started during the summer when I was watching the olympics. I watched almost every Michael Phelps race, of course. That wasn't all, though. I watched track and field events, gymnastics, diving, women's swimming, and volleyball. I was hooked! That kind of let off at the end of the summer, but I'm not sure the idea faded completely.



Starting this football season, I've gotten really into it. I've watched most of the away games and paid very close attention to the home games. I am working on learning more specific rules and how and why they work the way they do. I have learned the names and numbers on the football team and what positions they play. I even have come to recognize a few specific plays.

Then I started watching women's soccer. I'll go ahead and admit that I came in late in the season and not purely for the love of the sport (but that's a whole different story). Now, though, I'm once again learning what some of the plays now and felt truly sad when we lost to number 10 USC in the second round of the NCAA tournament.


Basketball season just opened here at BYU and I'm already loving it. It's a fun game to get into. I'm getting down some of the names already. There's Lee Cummard (definitely our all-star for the home opener and number 30), Jonathan Tavernari (number 45, pretty much a stud, and who I have secretly nicknamed J-tav), Jimmer Fredette (somehow I've forgotten his number), Chris Miles (number 54, he's in my mythology class), and others who I can't think of at this exact moment. I have this year's poster on the wall by my bed. I love it.

I'm not saying I already know everything, but I'm learning and this is definitely a love I don't see going away anytime soon. Not to mention the fact that I've been having this strange desire to play touch football. I know, I'm freaking myself out too.

No comments: