Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Dark Knight

Well reader, I finally did it. I watched the Dark Knight. I was terrified to watch it because Batman Begins gave me nightmares, but I'd heard so much hullaballo about the dang thing that I sat down and watched it (with promises from Sarah that if I got too freaked out we could turn it off and she wouldn't make fun of me). I didn't really get scared. I don't like clowns so that bothered me a little, but I didn't really get freaked out. Some of the actions were a little...graphic for me. I have two general things I'd like to comment on though. Why do people quote the "Want to know how I got these scars?" line? It's a catchphrase of the Joker's and I understand that, but seriously, it's disgusting. Both stories he tells (particularly the first) are horrific and I don't like that people quote that ALL THE TIME. Secondly, I like the idea of social experimentation. I find it fascinating to see what people will do, but there's a limit. Sometimes, even here in the real world, these limits get tested. I don't remember the name of the guy who conducted the study (but if anyone is interested, drop me a line and I will make sure to find it for you), but he wanted to see what putting people (who are generally good) in a position of power (that of a jailer) does to them. So, he put out an ad and found a group of college age boys, in good health, willing to participate. Some were made jail guards and some prisoners and were to role play. The experiment was to last six weeks. If I recall correctly, the project had to be shut down after less than two weeks because of how horrific the actions had gotten. This is a real world example that goes too far. I think the use of the idea of social experimentation in the Dark Knight was very good. It makes the viewer question what they would do in the situation and what is good. That being said, overall I found the movie good enough, but I still don't understand quite why everyone loved it SO much.

A sidenote: If you enjoyed this movie, I am in no way condemning you or putting you down. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

2 comments:

Cansirboi said...

Hey friend..I was in Provo the day you said you saw me. I had finally sold my apartment contract so I was cleaning out the stuff I had left there.

Happy Thursday!

Ben said...

The jailer study was by Philip Zimbardo (lucifereffect.com), FYI.