Friday, June 17, 2011

Butter

That's right.  You read the title of this post correctly.  I said butter.  Here's the thing.  What do you call the amount of butter pictured here?


Me? I would call it 8 tablespoons of butter, half a cup of butter, or a stick of butter.  Never in my whole life did I think anything of this until a little over a year ago when someone referred to it as a cube of butter.  Um, what?  Since the I've heard it all over the place.  Is this regional?  How does that butter look even remotely like a cube?  Let's get really specific and just call it a rectangular prism of butter.  I really don't have a problem with this, it just makes me curious.  So, what say you?  Cube of butter?  Stick of butter?  Four ounces of butter?

6 comments:

KB said...

its a stick. But i think rectangular prism may catch on...

Erica said...

Most definitely a stick of butter. Possibly half a cup, but only if I'm reading a recipe. Cube... only if I have already eaten a lot and it is now cube shaped.

B-Dub said...

It's a stick. I'd be lying if I said I haven't heard anyone call it a cube before, but those people obviously failed geometry.

Valerie said...

It's a cube. But I'm from Idaho.

Niccole said...

Huh. I was totally like "It's a cube of butter" which is embarrassing because I'm a math major. But my mother is from Idaho so I'll blame it on her.

Wees said...

I call it a stick. However, several older recipes I use (mostly from my grandmother, who was from Idaho, mind you) call it a cube.