Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Punctuation-o

Normally I like the English language.  I'm no fanatic or anything, but I don't care that much that it's supposedly one of the hardest to learn because I learned it ok.  By now you probably know that if I start off by telling you how I like something I'm going to move on to complain about it in some way or another.

Really it's question marks that bother me.  In Spanish (disclaimer: my knowledge of Spanish grammar comes from EXTREMELY limited experience) you can put your question marks just around your question within a larger sentence.  In English YOU CANNOT DO THIS and it makes me frustrated and confused when I try to compose a sentence that isn't a question but contains a question.  And because this is how my life works I cannot currently think of a sentence like this.

Unrelated: Do you ever run into the problem of typing question marks instead of exclamation points and vice versa while texting?  I don't have this problem in any other medium.  Biggest offending statement? "Guess what?" Let's be real, guess what is not a question.

That is all.

1 comment:

Heather Rose said...

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean about the question in a sentence thing. It frustrates me too.

And guess what? has always thrown me off too. We say it like a question, but it really isn't one.