Friday, June 3, 2011

Restaurant Review: Roll Up Crepes

Today I hit up Roll Up Crepes on State Street in Orem.  I'd passed by a few times and been intrigued, so I figured I'd give it a try.  I ordered the ham and cheese crepe (full disclosure: I secretly like bizarre and crappy ham and cheese things like Hot Pockets).  It cost about six bucks and came with a side of tomato basil soup.

First, the soup.  It was good, but it wasn't soup.  It was thicker than marinara sauce, more along the lines of a tomato-y dip.  The crepe was ok, but I would have rather had a Hot Pocket and that would have been a lot cheaper.  Perhaps I should have tried the special of the day (pulled pork crepe), but I already admitted my strange taste preferences.  The portion size was large (think of a big burrito).  The staff was friendly and I found the strange fake tree in the middle of the restaurant bizarrely appealing, but the place was DEAD empty.  I predict that it really won't last long (the location is a little weird and inconvenient and I've seen at least three restaurants through there already).  That being said, I'll probably go back and try a dessert crepe and perhaps even give one more try to a savory crepe before I make my final judgement.

1 comment:

B-Dub said...

We totally tried that place and had the same feelings. The savory crepes were mediocre at best and I did have the pork one. The desert crepes WERE delicious, though. I would go back for a dessert crepe, but I doubt I would ever order a savory crepe again. Did you know the owner is like 5 years old? Ok, he's not 5, but he's definitely younger than I am, so that's still weird. I will feel bad for his baby face if that place goes under.