Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Rise of Evil

Moving on, the rise of evil. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but I have a feeling that that's not actually the case and this is more of a problem than many of us would like to admit (not a personal problem, a world problem, just read the rest before you get all indignant). So, I was reading an interview Ben Crowder did about his magazine Mormon Artist. The interview was good. The interview did metion, however, a website for some other LDS art called Images of the Restoration. I thought this would be right up my alley! The restoration is one of my favorite topics (before I continue, let me note that in the interview, Ben did say that he did not appreciate the art there because it was not uplifting, but I thought maybe this was more of a preference based thing). So, I go to the website and start looking at the art (which seemed a little strange) and began reading the story about the first piece. I was enraged (and trying desperately to contain the literal growl that was threatening to escape)! The stuff was parading as LDS art of some sort, but that was some anti work if I've ever seen it. I always thought that if I came across anti-Mormon literature (or in this case, artwork) I would recognize it immediately and not even be tempted to look. Not the case in this situation.

What did I learn? Two things. One: Ben has good judgment so if he says the art isn't uplifting then I probably should have listened in the first place. Two: I feel like we keep getting more and more entrenched in this battle between good and evil and evil is parading (successfully) as good. We (I) have to be so careful, or we'll get stuck. This scares me. A lot.

Next post (so I can remember, because I come up with ideas frequently and then forget them): people.

No comments: