Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Things About Virginia I Will Miss This Summer

This is (as the title implies) a list of things I will miss when I am not at home in Virginia this summer.
1) My mother. I love my mom. We fight sometimes (rarely), but I can say with all honesty that she probably is [one of] my best friends. I don't really care much how cliche and ridiculous that sounds to you, it's the truth.
2) Seeing my father. My father is hard to live with (though I love him). It will still be hard to go a whole year without seeing him.
3) Carl's Ice Cream. A little ice cream stand in down town Fredericksburg that usually has an hour long line (especially on a friday night), but it's the best soft serve around.
4) Motorcycle rides with my dad. My dad got a new motorcycle (it's really pretty) and I'm not a huge fan of them, but in the summer there is something wonderful about being in that open air on a long ride on shaded back roads.
5) My grandmother's too cold air conditioning. Mammaw's house is always colder than any other house around. She's addicted to air conditioning and there's nothing like coming out of the heat into her house.
6) Destiny. My 5 year old niece and one of my best friends. She's absolutely beautiful and I love an miss her.
7) Gabriel. My 3 (almost 4) year old nephew and a stud. This kid has so much energy and never quits. I love him.
8) Playing in the baby pool with the kids. There is something so fun about surprising a child and sitting down in their pool with all your clothes on. I know this seems simple, but it's important to me.
9) Impromptu dinner parties with the neighbors. On summer nights (especially Sunday's) it seems like the whole street starts grilling at one time and some magic happens and we all end up sharing and eating together.
10) Laurel's house. I loved visiting Laurel randomly this summer and going over to hyperion and just chilling for hours doing nothing with her and Dave.
11) Crickets. Do they have crickets here? I don't even know. I just love to hear the sound of the crickets at night. Even through closed windows. Ditto lightening bugs. (Seriously, if somone familiar with Utah could let me know about this, that'd be great).
12) Wading in streams/rivers. A pivotal part of my childhood. I didn't do much of it this past summer, but now I'm going to miss it a lot.
13) Fishing with Dad and Glenn. They've got a lot more stamina when it comes to this than I do, but it's still so much fun. Especially when the kids come along and you watch their faces.
14) Sudden thunderstorms. You can be having a sunny beautiful day and then BAM all of a sudden the clouds roll in and it's pouring down rain. That's when you go out and dance barefoot in the street with all your clothes on. The smell and feel of the air just before is amazing.
15) Heat lightning. I'm guessing the drier air doesn't have enough friction or something to have this out here, but I will miss it.
16) Thunder that wakes you up/keeps you up at night. I love that thunder that literally shakes the whole house because it's so loud. It's absolutely beautiful.
17) Tornado warnings. They don't usually do much damage in my area (last year they did wreak a little havoc), but there is something exciting about the anticipation.
18) Nights when the power goes out because of a storm. I don't know why this is exciting. I love hunting for the candles and eating all the ice cream with spoons from the container so that it doesn't go to waste. I love when everyone gets too hot in their beds so they move to sleep on the cool tile until the air conditioning works again.
19) Hot wind. As much as I hate the humidity, there is something so amazing about the hot wind that will blow through every once in awhile.
20) Intense wind. Along with the thunderstorms comes the crazy wind that makes the trees look like they are going to fall right down. Also, microbursts (until they cause too much damage).
21) My other siblings. Swinging on the swing in the backyard together or laying in the hammock, or just chatting. I do love all of them.
22) Beth. One of my best friends from high school that's still in Virginia. I miss that girl.
23) Family ward. I love that we have to sit in the back of the cultural hall extension to the chapel because the kids are too noisy and that all the little ones play with cars and eating lunch with the Kalamas etc.
24) Beach trips. Even if just for a weekend I love that 5-7 hour drive with the family and lounging in the sand and seeing the ocean and smelling the pier and the crusty motel one street back and everything about the beach.

Ok, I know a lot of these are weather related and some you probably think are really silly. The reality is, these are important things to me. Things I will miss all summer long. It's going to be hard for me to be here in Provo, but I'm going to try to make the best of it. Any suggestions for the must-have experiences of a summer in Provo?

6 comments:

sarah joelle said...

this is why we're friends. because weather is awesome. especially summer weather in the eastern half of the united states.

ginger said...

I'm hoping this is only one of the reasons why we are friends...just saying.

Valerie said...

I'm wishing I could spend the summer in VA too!! Dang. That looks like quite the life...

#11- Crickets. I have only been to VA once and that was when Sarah was 1 1/2 yrs old, so I can't tell you how loud the crickets are there, but YES!! We have crickets here!! Just head out of the noise and bustle of "urban Provo" and I know you will hear them. Unfortunately, we don't have lightning bugs. Wish we did.
#15- We also have some heat lightning here too. When it gets really not. However, our thunder storms aren't ANYTHING like you experience. They are much safer and almost boring. Too bad, huh?

Like I mentioned before, you will need to come up and we'll take you to MT so you can experience some fun in the wild during the summer months. Sarah, will you be here during the summer too?

ginger said...

I'm pretty sure Sarah's not going to be around, but I'd love to visit anyways! :)

Marci and Sarah! said...

must have summer experience in provo-
SEVEN PEAKS!!!
shaved ice stand by j-dogs
playing with me and jaimie
bonfires
chillin on the GK with EVERYONE

ginger said...

this all sounds so good