Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dating Panel

There was a Relief Society activity about a week ago in my ward. It was a dating panel. I didn't go, but I did get a forwarded email of the comments guys made about what they like/expect from a girl on a date. There are 70 so I thought about posting them in several different posts, but I changed my mind. I just copy pasted this so any poor or confusing grammar or awful spelling is their fault. Some are quite funny. Enjoy. (note: it won't let me post them all at once. I'll do a part two post so they're all included)

1. A picture of holding hands. (He actually drew a picture.)
2. I like it when girls eat a lot on dates. It makes me feel like they’re actually enjoying the date.
3. Guys can’t read minds. We also can be very literal. If you say something but mean something else, we have NO idea. Say what you mean.
4. Let the guy be a gentleman.
5. Relax and have fun.
6. BE YOURSELF
7. Can we please agree on a standardized set of hints and signs? Thanks!
8. Send clear signals, if you had fun on the date and want him to ask you out again, make it easy for him to know it. If you don’t want him to ask you out again, nicely make it clear.
9. Let the guy open the door for you!!:) We really like to, it means a lot to us. Really.
10. If you go out to eat and you can’t finish what you’re eating, don’t just throw it out, offer it to the guy.
11. I like when women are unselfish and dedicated to the gospel. For the most part after that anything else can be figured out or worked out.
12. I appreciate when, if a girl already has plans, but is still interested, they suggest other days that they are free. “Maybe some other time.”= I won’t call again.
13. I would say that guys appreciate girls that are more direct. Direct does not mean more forward, nor does it mean rude. It means that you simply make your opinion known. Too often a girl says she is busy or that she really had a great time when she has no desire to go on a date with the guy. Likewise, a girl might really have liked a date, but fails to communicate this to the guy. Having talked to roommates, mission companions, and other elders in the ward, I have noticed that most guys don’t know what the girls they ask out think of them. It is sadly through a third intermediary, like roommates, that guys find out if the girl wants to date them. Being more direct saves all of this.
14. I like it when girls are appreciative of things I do that are meant to be thoughtful. It means so much to me when my date thanks me for holding a door or shows appreciation for other gestures I make to show care.
15. I also love it when a girl is willing to express her opinion, often when there are multiple options on what to do, or where to eat.
16. Be interested in the world! I love it when girls have goals and interests and passions, and is CLEARLY trying to be her best.
17. I like it when my date lets me open the door for them, pull their chair out for them to sit down, etc.
18. Just be yourself. Kristen Booth does an awesome job of this. She is a great example. (I really appreciate you for this Kristen) ((I didn’t add the example, I swear!))
19. I appreciate when a girl will create opportunities to ask her out. Come flirt with us!
20. I also love when girls will have an opinion on what to go do. (After the third date.) We’ll set up some good dates, but we need help on what you want to do.
21. When they (girls) let you open the door for them. They let you get things, take their coat, grab a chair. We want to feel like a gentleman!
22. (Warning: these next ones were all on the same card)
· Loves the movie Zoolander
· Girls who are open to trying new things
· Who are open minded
· Like Hawaiian food
· Like Hawaiians!!!
· Enjoys Curling
· Who understand a man’s often spoken love for Chuck Norris
· Who wishes they were Jack Bauer
· Must love Carl’s Jr!!!!!
· Who hate the Toyota Prius
· Who like long walks, regardless of location.
· Who makes fun of people who enjoy long walks on the beach. ( People who are too picky.)
· Must love corduroy suits
· Who are level 80 Dark Knight Sorceress’ in World of Warcraft
· Must love polyester ties made in the 80’s
· Must be able to do basic math i.e 1+1=5
· Who love watching Jeopardy while eating TV dinners. Get ‘em Trebbek!
23. Do your part to make the date fun and enjoyable so the guy doesn’t feel obligated to do everything. Nothing major, just help the conversation flow. Help the guy know if you’re somehow interested.
24. I love being able to have a real meaningful conversation – not superficial.
25. Its good if girls are honest – its okay to let a guy know you are not interested – some need more bluntness than others.
26. SELF CONFIDENCE!!!! For example, when a guy gives you a choice (would you prefer place A or B?) Have an opinion! Suppressing your own interests and preferences defeats the purpose of dating, which is to LEARN about other people and develop relationships. “Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.” O. Wilde
27. Give hugs. Smile a lot. Have fun.
28. I like it when girls make clear their intention. If they’re into me, let me know, if not, let me know. If you don’t know how you feel, act confused. And do all this while having fun, even if you’re not interested.
29. For me conversation on a date is very important. When a girl tries to help with keeping up the conversation it makes the date a lot funner. It’s not as much fun when the guy is the only one asking questions and trying to find out about the girls.
30. Be real with the person. Don’t put on a front if you don’t really like them or aren’t really that compatible.
31. I like it when girls make it clear whether or not they are interested rather than just being nice.
32. When girls let me know whether they’re interested or not. If I call, text, stop by, talk to you, etc. I’m interested. If I call call/text and don’t get a response, I begin to assume you’re not interested, I may not ask you out again. We can go out on a limb, but if we go out far enough – enough times it might break. That being said, we may actually go out on a really tender limb, so if you’re NOT interested please save us the pain and let us know in some inconspicuous way. I.E. don’t respond … or just tell us politely. J
33. Have fun. Expect to be treated well. If you like the guy/are interested or just had fun… tell them! Its that simple… a phone call the next day saying “Hey I had a great time last night… I had fun… we should do it again sometime. Just call… no guess work, and no games.
34. If you want a date, drop hints… you know how.
35. Don’t be afraid to talk or have an opinion, otherwise “conversation” quickly feels like “interrogation.”
36. A date is a date, until I ask you to marry me, don’t assume that’s what I’m after.
37. I love it when girls provide feedback. If you had a good time, make sure we know it by going out of your way to say it, not just something in passing.
38. Understand that date does require preemptive thought and planning, but that doesn’t mean everything always goes according to plan… so be flexible.
39. They don’t mind walking. (No car)
40. They like to eat.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Amen to 36.

The Hands said...

Dating panels are a great way to bring lots of contention into a ward very quickly. If you're trying to invite in the spirit of Satan, it's a good way to go.