Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Of Note Taking and Gentlemen

Two topics for today, and neither of them is that New Year's resolution post. I promise, it will come.

First, about note taking. I like to take very thorough notes. I like to write down all the important information on slides and most of the things the professor says. I've noticed something weird about myself, though. If I'm writing and the people next to me are not I get self-conscious and the same thing happens when the people around me start to write something that I am not (and usually I'll write it down too). Is this weird? Does it happen to anyone else?

Now, about gentlemen. I think it's so great when guys do nice things for girls just because they're gentlemen. I love it when they hold doors (I saw a guy stand and just hold the door for awhile when everyone was streaming into the Twilight Zone) it's so kind. I have a friend who opens the door for any girl getting in on his side of the car (no matter if he's the passenger or the driver and even if it's not a date). I saw a guy stop and help up a girl (and pick up all her stuff) after she completely biffed it in an ice patch on campus this week. It was so kind of him. Isn't it great here at BYU where the guy's mothers (or someone) have taught them manners, especially when it comes to how to treat women? I think it's wonderful.

That is all for this time.

6 comments:

Caroline said...

ginger, about the note-taking thing. I DO THE EXACT SAME THING. no worries. when people are writing and i'm not, i think of elder calhoun on "the best two years"--"should i write that down?" haha. then if i'm writing and they're not, i think, "wait a minute. isn't this important?" haha. i know exactly how you feel. also, boys are cute. i absolutely love it when boys do cute, polite, nice things like that. :]

ginger said...

i'm glad i'm either
1) not crazy or
2) not the only crazy person
:D
you are amazing

Valerie said...

Take a tape recorder to class and then take notes on your own time!! I bet some people are pretending to take notes and all they are doing is doodling. (I have to doodle to pay attention.)
Adam is a little gentleman. He will stand holding a door for 10 minutes if he sees people need to go in or out. And -believe it or not- he has been known to open the car door for his mommy. It's very sweet.

ginger said...

Adam is such a cutie.
we need to see you guys again

Brooke Lott Huntsman said...

I'm a note taker, too! I've felt self-conscious at times, but there is soo much information and it is all so wonderful! I don't want to forget any of it-- even if it has nothing to do with a class or isn't required for a test. I wish I could remember everything without doing this.. oh well. I'm sure the knowledge is there somewhere, in depths of my brain, but it can definitely get lost or covered up by piles of other stuff. Note taking seems to help me pull out the good stuff, when I need it. Plus, I've heard somewhere (and I apologize for not taking the time to look up the actual source) that being prepared to take notes and the act, itself, are a signal to the spirit that you want to learn. I don't know about you, but I get more out of lectures/lessons/devotionals/pretty much everything when I take notes. I'm of the opinion that NOTE TAKING SHOULD BE THE "IN" THING TO DO. :)

Oh, and "yippee" for all of the gentlemen in the world! ;)

ginger said...

yes. let's make it the in thing. i think this is a genius idea!