Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What I've Been Reading pt. 3

First let me start off with a question. I plan on continuing my reading for pleasure even though the school year has started. Should I continue to post these reviews or should I just keep it to myself? Let me know. Also, a disclaimer: I didn't read as much at the end of the summer because I had friends and things to do and a working TiVo (and no, I don't regularly do that stupid capitalization thing but that's how it is for TiVo). *Note: I tried to do pictures, I did but then blogger didn't upload them and I got irritated so I'm not doing them.

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: A good, fun read, of course. It's not Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe or anything, but it's a good solid C.S. Lewis book with a good moral and connections to Christianity. I really think everyone should have read all of the Narnia books by now. I re-read this in preparation for the movie that's coming out soon (that might suck).

Honey Baby Sweetheart: Another Deb Caletti book. This was the one that won awards and this was the one that I liked the least. It feels too forced into the teenage drama rather than like a real story unfolding. Maybe I just haven't had enough life experiences to quite get it, but I didn't love this book.

Unwind: This freaked me out. Basically it's another dystopian novel wherein the pro-life pro-choice debate has been settled. The agreement reached is that from conception to age 13 you can't do anything to chidren. From age 13 to 18 you have the option of having your children "unwound." Basically it's almost like being killed except every part of the child must live on in some way (transplants, giving limbs to those that have lost them, etc). What would you do if you found out you were going to be unwound? I did like this book. The whole dystopian thing is really working for me right now.

The Time Traveler's Wife: A decent story that moved too slow at times. I was told before I read it that the ending was sad so I just expected the worst the whole time. I found myself getting frustrated with the characters. Also, this is kind of rough (meaning too explicit for me) when it comes to sex. After the tragic part of the ending, the other part of the ending before the real ending really made me mad. Not a great read, but I've read worse.

The Cross Gardener: Sarah had borrowed this from Marci. It was written by her cousin or uncle or somebody related to her. It's a quick read and a nice uplifting story that made me cry several times. It takes place very close to the place I grew up in Virginia and the descriptions of the weather and the sites and the scenery there as well as details about places I've been or lived really got to me in this one and made me connect.

Mockingjay: No spoiler alerts because I'm not going to say anything. Basically, if you're reading the Hunger Games series you're going to read this third and final installment and if you're not, you're not. It's too new for me to post any plot details. I did love it, though.

A Great and Terrible Beauty: I've read this a few times before. It's a good fantasy novel that I first got into in high school. Basically some girls in Victorian (I think) England discover magic and it's pretty awesome. They're at boarding school in this one. There's an attractive gypsy boy involved and of course some evil to battle. I do love some good young adult fantasy. The second in this trilogy is pretty good, and the third wasn't that great (I only read it once, I should probably do so again).

That is all. Again, please comment and let me know if I should keep posting these book blogs.

1 comment:

KB said...

Keep posting these. I pretty much never read books unless someone else has read it and deemed it awesome. And I totally trust your opinion of awesomeness.