Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Brandon Davies (you had to know this was coming)

Since the dust has settled a little bit I thought I would share my thoughts on the whole Brandon Davies thing.

In case you've been living under a rock, here's the story. Basically about two weeks ago BYU's starting forward Brandon Davies got kicked off the team (we're talking men's basketball here) for an Honor Code violation. We proceeded to lose (badly) the next game to an unranked team. The word is that his girlfriend is pregnant and campus (and the media) have been in kind of an uproar.



My Initial Reaction: PISSED
Davies should have been thinking less about himself and more about his team. Losing him affected all of the guys (who should be his brothers) in a bad way. Don't get me wrong, BYU was in the right here. He broke the rules and he gets to pay the price. I think, though, that if he was going to break the rules he should have continued to lie through the rest of the season at least (2 games and post-season). I know any of you reading this that are ultra-righteous are judgine me for saying that. I don't care. He'd already done the deed. Not a big deal if he lies for a few more weeks and doesn't screw over his teammates in the process. In for a dime, in for a dollar.

On the Student Section
Signs that say "Davies we forgive you" and "We still *heart* you "Davies" are out of line. First of all, he doesn't need forgiveness from the student section. Secondly, why rub in his face that we all know his personal business? Not to mention the sign makers don't speak for the whole group here and I was still mad when I saw those signs. Chants of "we want Davies" seem to be another way, in my opinion, of rubbing in the fact that he can't play. Think before you speak/act, student section (I know, you're shocked to have that come from me).

On Davies Being Courtside
I thought it was classy and thoughtful for [I'm assuming] Coach Rose to let Davies sit with the team for the last home game. He spent almost all season as a part of the team. He's dealing with a lot already and I think it's great that they let him offer his support to his brothers. Ditto letting him cut the net. Davies' actions as he cut the net (head bowed, without reacting to the thunderous applause) paint the very picture of remorse. For me that was both sad and appreciated. I know I expressed my displeasure with the actions of the student section, but I thought the applause was appropriate (though a bit long/excessive in execution).

Where I Stand Now
Davies definitely screwed up and that's his burden to carry. I still see the action as selfish and thoughtless. But. Yes, there's a but. He's been through a lot already. Everyone and their dog have heard all of his personal business and raked him across the coals. It was his mistake that caused this so I don't feel too bad for him, but let's move on. I'm ready to look to my team for some excellent post season play. And if Davies can get his life together by next season, fantastic. I'll welcome him back with open arms and cheer for him just like I would had none of this happened.

If you've made it through this lengthy post I'm extremely impressed. Don't fret. I [most likely] won't devote any more blog space to this topic. The Mountain West Conference tournament starts tomorrow, so LET'S GO COUGARS!

No comments: