Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Glee

I know Sarah has already posted about this, but we don't have that large of an overlap in readership.  Glee is a new tv show that will be released in the fall. 
Before we talk about the plot and premise, let's just explore the genius of this marketing.  The creators have made a show that can definitely pick up some of that High School Musical crowd, but appeals to a much larger audience.  And they've released the pilot months before the show begins on tv (in the fall).  It is already hugely popular.  They've let the internet and word of mouth do their advertising and it's working.  I heard about this from dozens of people before I watched it and now I'm telling everyone I know to watch it.  I'm just a part of the chain here.  Also, the song from the end of the pilot episode is currently the number three download on itunes (I definitely bought it, it's a fabulous cover of a Journey song).  According to press releases each episode will include four musical numbers.  That's more built in money for the network.  People who watch the show will buy the songs adding to the revenue.  Now, on to the basic premise of the show.
 
The glee club in a high school got cancelled so a teacher who really cares volunteers to pay the fee and keep the club going.  He holds tryouts and gets together quite the motley crew.  He has a controlling wife who is a delightfully hateable character.  There are fabulous stereotypes of the traditional high school characters and adoringly quirky characters.  The kids in the club have fabulous voices and can really belt it out.  I don't want to reveal too much, but I definitely recommend checking out this show.  It's worth it. 

3 comments:

Chelli said...

I still haven't watched it, but I intend to.

Mandy said...

I definitely want to see it. And I definitely bought the Journey cover off of iTunes as well; my roommate and I listen to it constantly, since it's a beautiful remake of the original.

ginger said...

Chelli: excellent. I think you can be won over.

Mandy: isn't it so good? I haven't listened to almost anything else since I bought it.