Friday, May 20, 2011

Acoustic Night

My ward holds acoustic night every month and a half or two months. Basically anyone who wants to comes out and plays guitar and/or sings or whatever musical talent they have. I haven't attended any of the other acoustic nights because I didn't really think it would be my scene. I was right. Sure, I saw some friends that I was glad to see tonight (hello Jeff), but I most likely won't go to another.


Discovery: I have pretty much the same opinion about both acoustic night and [ward] talent shows. There are three acceptable groups of people who should perform.

1. Children (unless it gets excessive). There was a boy that was someone's brother at acoustic night tonight. He was probably 14 or 15 and he got up the courage to perform in front of a bunch of college students some song he'd written for guitar. You go, kid. You are an acoustic night winner.

2. Hilarious people. If you're going to sing a funny song or do a funny sketch (in the case of talent shows) or narrate hilariously then please perform. Exhibit A: Landon. If you were in the ward last year you definitely know Landon (tall, hilarious animation student). Landon has actual talent to be sure, but instead he tells a funny story and sings a song he began writing in the seventh grade about starting an outlaw band. Win. Exhibit B: Curtis. Still in the ward, and kind of hilarious. He sang a song about still being in love and wanting someone back even after they try and stab you and step on your head after throwing you in a ditch etc etc. Others that come to mind are Ben's cover of Your Body is a Wonderland (called Your Spirit is a Wonderland) two years ago and Travis's hilarious cover of some country song (that I don't remember currently) at the same show. To hilarious people: please perform. Also kudos to Jason for playing a song from Sesame Street.

3. Extremely talented people. With Trent on guitar and vocals, David on trumpet, and Curtis on banjo (!!!) that combination was fantastic and the song was good and I enjoyed it. Ditto to the group that had the violinist, guitarist, drummer, and maraca girl that sang a song in some foreign language. Drummer and maraca girl did another piece where he played guitar and she sang and it was great. I'm sure I could think of examples for talent shows, but I don't feel like it.

Listen, people, I respect that you have a budding talent that you're striving to build. I recognize that you wrote some mediocre lyrics and you're proud of them, but I don't care that much. I'm not excited to hear you. Take some time and practice some more then get back to me. Similarly I have no desire to watch a poorly acted ten minute drama at a talent show.

I know it was my choice to go to acoustic night and so I'm making the choice not to go again. I'm also making the choice to blog my thoughts. No apologies.

4 comments:

Jeffrey Howard Pierce said...

Thanks for giving me a shout out. I miss you and hope to see you when I get back from the DR. Then we can party like we did in the basement of the Mckay building.

B-Dub said...

Hence why you did not see me at said Acoustic Night.

Scott said...

Ginger, though I respect your opinion and your right to make it, You really don't understand the point of acoustic night. It's not meant to be a night of great performances, It's not meant to be a substitute for those who can't afford U2 tickets. It's an opportunity for people to improve their talents. How the hell do you think people become EXTREMELY TALENTED in the first place? They practiced and performed in from of small audiences and eventually became good enough to play for bigger groups. i.e. the ones you and most people enjoy listening to. We know we aren't great performers, nor do we care to entertain you. what we do care is how well our peers in music are improving.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. I knew you wouldn't enjoy such things which is why i never made an effort to get.
As I said I still respect your right for you to have your own opinion (which I'm sure won't change no matter what I write). But you don't need to declare how much you hate something you know nothing about.

ginger said...

Scott, I'm not going to start an argument with you, but I have three things to say.
1) You can't actually say whether I do or don't understand the point of acoustic night because you're not in my brain.
2) I never said I hated acoustic night.
3) I can declare anything I want about anything I want.