Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hypocrites

Today in Sunday School we talked about hypocrites.  That's right, despite the fact that I look like I'm paying absolutely no attention and I'm playing Word Warp (which is like Text Twist) on my phone, I'm listening.  The teacher (Erin?) asked us what we thought of when we considered hypocrites.  I didn't contribute, but there is something I thought then and was shown to be applicable later that evening.  To me not being a hypocrite often means not being someone different at church than you are in life.

You know what, I'm going to be me no matter what.  Just because it's Sunday I'm not going to start putting on airs.  If there's a movie that I'd watch any other day of the week and I'm a person who watches movies on Sunday (I understand that some people choose not to watch movies or tv on Sunday as a way of keeping the Sabbath day holy and I completely respect that choice) my movie choice isn't going to be different.  I'm the same person on Sunday as any other day of the week and I'm not going to put on a show.

Example.  Tonight at mix and mingle (alternately called snack and mack or grab a cookie take a lookie) Sam started talking about the movie Sixteen Candles.  I've never seen it, but I have a copy on VHS so I figured I'd watch it.  I expressed the same and someone in the ward stated rather huffily, "Well, that's a great movie to watch on a Sunday." Get over it girl.  Sunday doesn't make me pretend to be someone I'm not.

2 comments:

sarah joelle said...

not trying to be argumentative, but i don't necessarily think that if people act differently on sundays that means they're a hypocrite. i mean, i act differently when i'm student teaching than i do when i'm hanging out with my friends. and granted, we should be living righteously and making good choices all through the week, but treating sunday as a day of rest and keeping the sabbath day holy when we don't keep other days holy doesn't necessarily mean that people are being hypocrites. even when the world was being created, God Himself rested on the seventh day. and we're taught that we should try to emulate Him in our lives. therefore i don't think we're being hypocrites so much as we're just choosing to treat the sabbath day as a holy day. and i'm not calling you out on this at all, because i watch movies and football and stuff on sundays. i'm just trying to explain how i see it. i hope that that made sense. i'm also not trying to argue. :)

ginger said...

you already know that i didn't take your comment as argument, but i felt like i owed you a legitimate reply. i agree with you that there's nothing wrong with keeping the sabbath day holy as a way to honor and emulate God is something to be respected. my issue lies instead with those people that "keep the sabbath day holy" because of social expectation. similar, in my opinion, to fasting just because it's expected within the culture and not because you actually believe in the power of fasting and are asking for the guidance/help from your God. also, that is not an argument, i just wanted to show due respect to your comment and further explain my thinking.