Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pet Peeve

I have a pet peeve. You're probably insanely shocked. Let's talk about it. Actually, let's go all Mormon sacrament meeting talk and start with a dictionary definition.

anniversary (noun): 1. the yearly recurrence of the date of a past event: the tenth anniversary of their marriage
2. the celebration or commemoration of such a date
(adjective):1. returning or recurring each year; annual

That's from dictionary.com, in case you were wondering.

So now, the pet peeve part. You do not have a six month anniversary of anything (dating, graduating from high school, being married, whatever). Anniversary comes from the term annual which means yearly. When someone says they've had a three month anniversary I want to punch them in the face (even people I like under normal circumstances). Instead try a phrase like, "She made me dinner to celebrate the fact that we've been dating for three months." I always think people sound like idiots when they misuse the word anniversary.

That is all.

Here's a picture of a dog nursing liger cubs in China because I'm pretty sure most blog posts should have pictures, and why not?

2 comments:

Britt Hanson said...

I do this.
:)

Niccole said...

I feel like this blog post embodies everything I love about you. I don't know how or why, it just does.