Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Favorite Song: Any Given Day

Who really can name just a single favorite song? That's awful. I really don't like this one. One of my most favorite songs is Any Given Day by Carbon Leaf. I've loved it basically forever.

Something about this part of the lyrics:

I window shop for you in my mind
A flannel shirt at the five and dime
A lether coat cut big city style
Boots from plastic crocodile
A pinecone dipped in glitter glue
A penny 1942
A necklace with a cheap green stone
Barefeet, cold sand. Chill to the bone

resonates with me for some reason. It just seems like he's picking out the real gifts that mean something even though they're probably cheap. I just love it.

When I listen to this song I often think of the small main street in my hometown that still has a sign for a real five and dime that isn't there anymore. I'm glad in some ways that I don't live in such a small town with such limited options anymore, but I do miss it sometimes. Things like the fair and the tiny schools and the slow speed limit and the little mountains of Virginia surrounding that little town in the valley just make me happy. Now that my family lives in Northern Virginia in a town that isn't really a town (just a county) and really only exists because the interstate goes through it, I miss those small town charms.

No comments: