Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I Broke My Face

Once upon a time (July 19th) Sarah and I were going to see my favorite band Carbon Leaf at this tiny little venue in good old SLC.
During the opening act I started not feeling too well so I went to sit on a bench outside. Then I thought I might throw up so I headed to the bathroom. On the way across the parking lot I almost passed out. I tried to catch myself on a planter (you know, a thing that has plants in it), but in my woozy state I missed and hit my face instead. It was bleeding pretty bad. Someone went and found Sarah who drove me to insta-care. In case you didn't know, insta-care is crappy and told me immediately they couldn't do anything and because could have hurt my head i got transported in an ambulance to the emergency room.
Possible head injury means backboard, neck brace, and being taped down.
I was confused and delirious at this point so I smiled for my mom. This was after they had cut off one of my favorite shirts (Reading is Cool, Paperbacks are Hot) and my only white cami. that is my unhooked green bra that you see in the picture.
I had road rash and basically split the top part of my left nostril from the bottom part. Oh, and I busted my tooth and had to get a filling (a few days later) and still have a gum issue right now. It's kind of...pushed back from where i busted my mouth pretty good.
After many hours without, I finally got some pain medication (dilaudid for the win), the ER doctor told me he couldn't do my stitches, we waited for a plastic surgeon, and he pumped my face full of novocain (or something like it that hurt like the dickens going in) and stitched me up. 20+ stitches in all, both inside and outside my nose. Sarah held my hand.

When I woke up the next day I looked and felt like hammered dog s*** (that's a phrase my dad loves to use).
I thought I might get better with time, but sometimes things just get uglier and uglier. People kept telling me I didn't look that bad. Sometimes I just wanted people to say "Ooh. You look nasty."
I think that yellow eye makeup may be in next season. Anyone with me? (Note: I took most of these pictures myself shortly after waking up so my mom could get progress on my face).
I eventually did start to look better, but the stitches were still itching my face off.
But then I got the stitches out!
As of now I still have a kind of swollen lump on one side of my nose, but it doesn't look bad. the only problem is something with the scar tissue is making my smile weird. Maybe I'll take a picture and blog about that soon. Or just post a picture. It's a really awful smile.

I just want you to know that Sarah is amazing. Everyone should have a friend like her. I fell just before 8pm and Sarah stayed in the ER with me until after 2am. Like I said, she held my hand during the novocain shots and the stitches, and she only left when I almost threw up. Then almost three weeks later she spent another several hours in the ER with me. There is no way for me to ever show my gratitude to her adequately or to ever repay her for what she did.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I'm right there with you, Ginger. I love that girl more than anything in the world. She's absolutely incredible!! She's lucky to have you too though. You're a pretty remarkable lady yourself!! I'm so glad everything is turning out to be okay!

Wees said...

I'm not biased or anything, but I think Sarah is pretty terrific myself. And she has darn good taste in friends!

I'm so glad you weren't hurt more seriously and that you've healed so nicely!

Valerie said...

Holy cow!! The one picture I saw on FB didn't do this story justice! WOW! I am very happy that the damage wasn't worse and that you will have a full recovery. I'm especially happy that you had my mostest awesomest wonderfullest niece along for the ride and that she was smart enough to have her camera alongside her.