Thursday, August 12, 2010

Potassium Infusion

If I already talked to you (Sarah) you probably want to skip this post because it will be boring for you.

Because of my issues with almost passing out and ending up in the emergency room I went to see a doctor and have been getting some blood work done to figure out what's wrong. Turns out my potassium is pretty low. Lucky me, I had the beautiful opportunity to go get a potassium infusion (meaning an iv dosage of potassium) over the course of just over five hours.

I got to the hospital and was put in a room next to a middle aged guy and his wife. He was watching Family Feud and then Loony Toons and his wife bought him Sensuous Sandwich for lunch.

Apparently my doctor had the potassium mixed abnormally strong so it had to be mixed with that saline stuff that they give you to hydrate you or when you go to the emergency room or whatever. The straight potassium without the saline being pumped in at the same time (yep, I got two pumps) burned my veins like fire (it happened at the end when they thought there was already enough saline in there so that it wouldn't hurt. They fixed it shortly thereafter.

I watched a lot of daytime television during my visit. Let's Make a Deal (Wayne Brady, not Monty Hall), Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Inside Edition, Family Feud, Grounded for Life,...I think that's it. I also texted Sarah to death. Poor Sarah.

They ordered me a lunch in the hospital since I was there forever. Hospital food is not good. It was some sort of chicken turnover with gravy and veggies and milk. Milk just like in elementary school which gave me a chuckle.

It was kind of sad to see some of the other people in there getting chemo/radiation. The middle aged guy with his wife and the tall bald guy that was no older than me and the sad sick old people. My problems were small in comparison (even though I was in there for a longer period of time than most).

Moral of the story: my potassium is hopefully better now and I hope I never have to do that again even though everyone was extremely kind and the nurses were awesome. Sorry for no picture.

1 comment:

KB said...

Oh Gingey, I'm glad they figured out why you've been feeling weird and passing out. I love you and would hate for you to die. So eat some more bananas or something else with potassium.