Friday, March 27, 2009

Righteous Missionaries

I know a lot of people on missions. I love them. Espeicially Brady and Cody. I know a lot of RMs too. I love them as well. I think it's an awesome and righteous thing to do, the thing to do (if you're a guy of course, and an excellent idea for some girls). Anyway, that's not the point of this post. I know a lot of people who have been called, are in, or have been to places all over the world, and you know what? None of them are better than any other one because of where they went. I was talking to a friend today who said he wouldn't have been as happy had he been called to, say, North Dakota (that was his specific example). Really?! Are you serious? Is wherever the Lord calls you not good enough? This complex (that a lot of people seem to have) is extremely frustrating. A guy in my ward served a faithful mission to Salt Lake City. Seriously. There are both elder and sister missionaries on BYU campus. I have a friend in California and one in Arizona. A kid from my ward last year went to Wyoming and another of my friends happened to serve in DC South (the mission with my home ward in it). All these guys are righteousi -- just as righteous as the friend I have who went to Thailand, the one who went to Japan, and the ones who got their mission calls to Taiwan and the Phillipines. Let the complex drop. They're all good guys (and girls). The important thing isn't where they serve[d] their missions, it's how diligent and humble they are.

And a special shoutout to my roommate who served an ASL mission in New York City.

On a sidenote, I like to have pictures on my blog so I did a google image search. Do you know what you get when you search 'Mormon Missionaries'? Pictures from that Mormon Exposed: Men on a Mission calendar....Not sure how I feel about that.
Also, where is this guy's companion?

7 comments:

Heather Rose said...

I love this so much. Also, I hope Mitch understands this. If he ends up not going to Taiwan, then the Lord needed him somewhere else. Not going to Taiwan doesn't mean he's less righteous now. You should tell him that, cause I don't think his dad is.

Heather Rose said...

Also...maybe his companion is the one taking the picture.

ginger said...

good point and good point

Valerie said...

I think that serving on the BYU campus (or BYU-I for that matter) and in areas where the population is mainly LDS would be incredibly difficult. Just as difficult as it would be to learn a new language or a new culture. It's just challenging in a different way. Both require much prayer and hard work and equal amounts of faith.

I liked your post. You nailed it on the head!

sarah joelle said...

the byu campus mission is one of the highest baptizing missions, isn't it? boo, this complex sucks. a mission is a mission is a mission.

ginger said...

i don't know about byu campus, but i know salt lake is...

Caroline said...

Maybe they're not more righteous, but I've heard that the toughest missionaries go to the U of U campus because it's the toughest mission. Haha. Jk.

Seriously though, I loved your post. This was great.