Monday, March 30, 2009

Waiting: What Does That Say About Our Men?

The MGs. Missionary Girls. The ones who are waiting for two years until the man they fell in love with does his full time service to the Lord. Yeah, those girls. You know the ones I mean. Most of them don't make it. Those are just the facts. Like them, hate them, whatever, everyone (including me) has an an opinion about the whole waiting situation. That is not the point of this post, I'm just introducing the topic here.

Now, on to the main point. These girls do exist. These MGs we'll say for the sake of saving space and because I want to and this is my blog. There are girls waiting for missionaries. What does this say about our men? In most cases I'll assume that the guy knows that he has a girl at home (if not, then there's a whole other situation and problem going on). So, whether she makes it or not, how positive is this about our men? I'm serious. I was considering this and these people have to meet and fall in love. They decide that they at least think they want to spend their lives together and get married. And then...he still leaves! For two years! To serve the Lord! That's amazing to me. Really. I know in some cases it's societal, cultural, or familial pressure that leads these guys to serve, but I'd like to think that most of the time it's because they are righteous men and are willing to do whatever is necessary and make the painful sacrifices in order to do what is required. That's amazing.

Two disclaimers: I know that there are other situations and that these opinions don't always apply to every situation and that not everyone is righteous or whatever. Also, I have no idea who this guy is. I'm notorious for just google searching to find a fun picture for my blog.

3 comments:

Sean and Jaimie said...

Elder Ryan Dixon. Resides in Mesa Arizona. I went to Robson elementary with him. THAT"S CRAZY! hahaha

sarah joelle said...

I LOVE MISSIONARIES.
AND I LOVE MGS.
THE END. :]

Caroline said...

I love MGs. Sarah tells me some of the fun stuff they do and it makes me sort of wish that I had a missionary to wait for just so I could be one. Haha.

P.S. Where's this missionary's companion? Haha.

P.P.S. Seriously, Jaimie?! That's weird.