Sunday, February 13, 2011

Physical Contact

I've done a brief search and I don't think I've blogged on this subject before. If I have please feel free to skip this post.

My family is a touchy family. Not touchy meaning sensitive, touchy meaning we make physical contact. I would not consider us to be a family of huggers and there are definitely some members that would prefer you only rarely hug them when it's a definite necessity. Our contact is more casual. I'll sit right beside my mom on the couch rather than on the other end like I would with any other person. Holding hands with my little brother or mom in public is not a big deal to me. We have no problem standing close to one another and for someone to sleep in your bed with you for a night for whatever reason is not uncommon. Other (probably more normal) methods of casual touch also happen on a regular basis. Maybe that makes us weird, but I just wanted to give some context for my experience.

I rarely touch anyone in my life right now. I will, on rare occasion, pat a student on the shoulder and even that touch feels foreign to me. I sometimes reach over and pat a friend lightly on the back or arm or leg just for the contact. There are a few guy friends that I'll hug when we greet and that might be the highlight of that social event for me (depending on the event). There is a point to all of this weird rambling and it's that I don't have physical contact with anyone and it's something I miss and something I crave.

Great. Now the whole world (or at least those that read my blog) think I'm a crazy nut-job or crazed for a boyfriend or some other equally as disparaging idea. I guess I'll just have to deal with that a keep on gettin' on.

No comments: